Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Archduke of Austria always enjoyed a few rounds



Franz Ferdinand, one of my favs, recently released their 3rd album, Tonight (9/10). And...it's a grower! I wasn't too enamoured at first, but it has worked it's way in to my heart. I went out to HMV in Yokohama and picked it up for the bargain price (for Japan) 0f 1790 yen.
Loosely based on a night out on the tiles, it is darker than past releases. It isn't quite as catchy as the first two records, but has an evident maturity that more than makes up for this as it unravels itself and clinches your synapses in a jarring manner, unwilling to release. My recommendation? BUY BUY BUY!

I once saw them perform live in The Tokyo Buddokan a few years ago with my girlfriend at the time. I remember how tight they were and their ability to replicate the album sound live was nothing short of sensational. Truly one of the greats. Up there with Alkaline Trio and the National for me in terms of top music talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment