Saturday, June 6, 2009

westy



woot woot I have westvleteren!

Just had the Westy 8... here's the review ratebeer.com style:-

Wow. fruit. do you like fruit? If not, then this might not be the brew for you. I managed to get my hands on a few bottles of these (thanks TimE!). Expensive as. Actually gushed out of the bottle, even though it had been sitting out of the fridge for a while. Obviously a lot going on here. A huge fruity nose. Blackcurrants, apple, banana etc. The moutfeel was medium bodied and very fruity. As it warmed up it had more toffee and coffee notes, as well as a pronounced alcohol bite. Finish was medium bitterness with spice. An exceptional beer. It is very Belgian. I am not a huge fan of Belgium beers at the moment...but this is class. Can’t wait for the 12.

Maybe my longest ratebeer review ever...Still it was a great beer. Enjoyed after a Weihenstephan HefeWeiss and Lagunitas Imperial Stout, with a Shiga Kogen IPA after that to finish off...oh and watched Running Man with Arnie....beat that for a night in!

9 comments:

  1. Nice one. I also got an abbotty thingy 12 to compare with. ST.Berbnardus, I think. supposed to be similar in taste and of course style.
    Met you at Tanakaya and you said it was almost the same recipe or something?
    Man, that was some real high class street drinking we did.
    There's no way I'm gonna call it 'drankin'. No friggin way. Nothing new about swigging on the street. For as long as there have been streets and even before then, it's been going on.
    In Pompei, historians recently unearthed the remains of a small group of young ancient Roman soldiers, who seem to have been preserved by the ash and debri in the actual act of street drinking. Their cans of Premium Malts, still in their hands. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol killer post. yeah i felt like a douche with my goblet but by god where they good beers. I am about to have the westy 8 now. yeah apparently the monks used to brew on the st.bernadus premises at some point. Now they brew the same recipe as a commercial type venture.

    All hail high class street drinking!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rock the monacle, sir!
    I alos got the 8, along with the 12. Let me know what it's like.
    Got me a ballast point big eye next.
    Just enjoyed a shiga kogen ipa in the free vivo glass i got sat night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. yes I have a dildo shaped dishwashing detergent

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kind of ass dildo that at the end you can give it a squeeze and it will 'clean you out', inside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I just boughtt he same feckin glass to do my tasting wiht! Purely by chance. I compared about half a dozen and finally chose this one. There was a beautiful St.Bernardus one with silver trimming but it wasn't for sale. Never mind. Paid about 630 for my glass. Great condition. Sugaya. Cycled there and so saved my train fare so I supppose the price was reasonable. It's the only trappist glass I have - don't think that weird Hoegaarden one counts. I may grab another one or two trappist beers to compare the 12 with. Did a little research and I know the ones I want. Prob a Sugaya trip again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I said ass dildo. You didn't say it was an 'ass' dildo, so I suppose that's my creepy imagination going overboard again.
    All I'll say is, I definitely have to try and NOT mix my identical glass with yours! - I kinda have a twisted idea of where your detergent bottle may have been.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol yeah i didn't confer that it was for asses...another freudian slip huh?

    Yeh man I want to get a few more too...gotta make it out to sugaya too...is it a difficult trip?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's about a 2km walk from Kajigaya station.
    Wait a little while and you'll have one of Andy's beers on tap there to try for as little as 500yen a glass.

    ReplyDelete