Monday, May 25, 2009

All hail the Samichlaus


Over the weekend I was a bit skint but this didn't stop me picking up a Samichlaus from import store Seijo Ishi just round the corner from my work. At 600 yen for 14% this is a fair deal. Especially when a lot of japanese micros turn out weizens, pale ales etc for at least 500 yen.

Not only that but it tastes great. How great? I'm buying up a supply so I have a few if it runs out. Big and smooth with lots of doughy sweet malt and a nice bitter finish, it takes a while to get used to, but I must have drunk it a dozen times and I am a true convert.

This is the best thing to come out of Austria since Arnold Swarzeneggar (At least predator era Arnie - don't get me started on the true awesomeness of that movie)! GET TO THA CHOPPA...


P.S I have the glass too...A great sippin beer glass!

4 comments:

  1. nice....Nate once chugged one in downtown Nagoya! Good beer, and i hear it get better with age, but I have to wonder about these guys that can keep tons of good beer in their basements and resist the urge to drink them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if it's the strongest beer in the world.
    Had it a few years back from my local.
    Not bad but may take getting used to, like you said. Was gonna hit Yokohama tongiht, for the new Pivovar Yokohama brews (pixie and green fresh are out tonight), plus pop by thrash on way back.
    May do that tmrw.
    Fancy a beer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. strongesr lager i believe...I had a 120 Ipa a while back at 21%..not really a beer anymore...haha

    can't make it out this week, but are you up for popeyes on saturday for otsukaresama??

    ReplyDelete
  4. DH I agree...I couldn't age beer to save my life. Drinking it is another story!

    I had a beer last year dating from 1999 but it had lost its ooomph. It was a british old ale at about 9%

    ReplyDelete