Friday, April 10, 2009

Ballast Point


Ballast Point Beers outta San Diego are making their way to Japan, thanks to Andrew of Nagano Trading. I am the first to admit I have yet to put a BP to my lips, but I'm looking forward to having more than my share at the Welcome Party for Ballast Point in Tokyo. All I can say is welcome to Japan and I look forward to downing my share of West Coast goodness!

In honour of this I present my 5 favourite japanese brews that could stand up to anything produced in America at the moment...

1. Shiga Kogen House IPA - This is Japan's equivalent to a Pliny from Russian River. Not overpowering, but BIG BIG BIG. Very well balanced for a DIPA.

2. Hakusakien Super Vintage Ale - This is more like a port than a beer. Super smooth and alcoholy at 14.3%. Try the raisin version for extra OOOMMMPHHH.

3.Yona Yona/Tokyo Black - My two favourite readily available brews. Yona is perhaps one of the best pale ales I've ever had and Tokyo is a dark dream. Both amazingly flavourful for 5%.

4. Swan Lake Amber Ale - This is how to make an Amber ale. Full bodied and moreish with delicious caramel tones. 

5. Fujizakura Weizen - When I feel like a German this is the brewery to turn to. Their Weizen is the best I've ever had, Japanese or otherwise.

These are all year round beers. If I turned to specials I would include Shiga Kogen and Baird's Imperial Stouts...but then I am biased towards the dark lord of beers;)

1 comment:

  1. The big eye smells great and is a good taste but not the best in the world, from the bottle. Would like to have it on tap, though.
    The victory at sea is too sweet at first, wiht way too muhc vanillla in there. However, as you go through it and she warsm up, she gets to be a finely made beer, albeit wiht a too much vanilla. Ease down on the vanilla and you have yourself a good beer. The 10% alc was just right. Want to have the DIPa now. Didnt buy it this time. will wait for Andrew's party. If u have the cahngce, the big eye or the APEX at thrash loooks like a good drink, although I dont know how much he's charging for them.

    ReplyDelete